To support the safe re-opening of businesses in the Grande Prairie Regional Emergency Partnership (GPREP) service area, GPREP has launched the PPE4Biz program to help reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 among workers, volunteers and patrons. A limited supply of essential safety items such as masks, gloves, and hand sanitizers will be available for purchase to eligible businesses that do not have these supplies on hand and have completed a business hazards assessment.
“As many businesses prepare to re-open to the public as early as May 14, implementing PPE4Biz is one of the ways GPREP and local chambers are working with businesses to help restart our region as safely as possible,” said Dan Lemieux, GPREP Director of Emergency Management.
- This program will open for applications on Tuesday, May 12 at 8:00 a.m. online.
- The online application, along with details about the program, are available next week on the GPREP website at www.gprep.ca.
- Eligible businesses will be able to pick up supplies starting May 13 from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Only a limited amount of supplies will be available for distribution through the program due to current limits on the availability of the items. In light of these restrictions, GPREP encourages businesses to apply early.
- Applications will be reviewed by program assessors to determine a business’s eligibility. Businesses are encouraged to follow the AHS guidelines for reopening and complete the Business Hazard Assessment.
- Businesses must be located in the GPREP service area, which includes the City of Grande Prairie, County of Grande Prairie, Hythe, Beaverlodge, Sexsmith and Wembley.
- As part of the application, businesses must complete a hazard assessment to determine if PPE is necessary.
To prepare for the safe and gradual reopening of businesses and activities, the Government of Alberta has prepared a three-step Relaunch Strategy. As part of the strategy, businesses are directed to adhere to the Province’s workplace guidelines for business owners. GPREP is working on a long-term solution for business to obtain PPE for the future and is working with local vendors and suppliers. Information will be communicated as the plan develops.
The primary source of information for Albertans about COVID-19 is Alberta.ca/covid19.