Frequently Asked Questions

GPREP General

GPREP is funded by the five municipalities in the partnership. The City of Grande Prairie, County of Grande Prairie, Towns of Beaverlodge, Sexsmith and Wembley.  The level of contribution per year is based on the size of the municipality.

  • For police, ambulance, or fire department: 9-1-1.
  • For power outages or electrical emergencies, call ATCO Electric: 1-800-668-5506 (24 hrs).
  • For gas line related emergencies or if you smell gas (often described as a “rotten egg” smell), call ATCO Gas: 1-800-511-3447.
  • For waterline and sewer-related maintenance, breaks or other emergencies, call Aquatera (only for City of Grande Prairie, Sexsmith, and parts of Clairmont): 780-882-7800 (24 hrs).
  • For wildlife related emergencies, call Alberta Fish and Wildlife: 1-800-642-3800 (24 hrs).
  • To report a wildfire call Alberta Wildfire: 310-3474 (24 hrs).

A comprehensive list of other emergency phone numbers in Alberta can be found at: https://www.alberta.ca/emergency-numbers.aspx

GPREP is activated when a large-scale emergency or disaster in the region has the potential to occur, or is occurring. The decision to activate is based on the emergency and its magnitude.

Designated first responders can “activate” GPREP, including RCMP and fire departments, and municipal officials.

Emergency Social Services (ESS) is an emergency response program that provides for the various short-term needs of evacuees during a large scale emergency or disaster. These short term services (up to 72 hours) are to preserve the emotional and physical well-being of evacuees.

GPREP, or the Grande Prairie Regional Emergency Partnership is a collaboration between five communities to coordinate and plan the emergency response and resources during large-scale emergencies and disasters. We focus on preparing for and responding to disasters.

The five municipalities that make up GPREP are: The City of Grande Prairie, County of Grande Prairie, Towns of Beaverlodge, Sexsmith and Wembley.

Once GPREP is activated various responders and staff come together in the emergency coordination centre.  The emergency coordination centre supports the first responders, obtains required resources, manages information and looks at the needs of the entire community/region.

If additional help is required to respond to a disaster, GPREP can call other municipalities for assistance and/or the Province of Alberta. GPREP has mutual aid agreements with other municipalities and regions outlining how we will help each other in the event of an emergency. The Province has specific processes for GPREP to follow if we need additional help.

If you are asked to evacuate, please follow the instructions from emergency personnel. GPREP will not ask you to prepare to leave your home unless there is reason to believe that you are in danger.

Evacuation Alert – an evacuation alert informs the community of the potential need to evacuate. Plan to evacuate with enough items to keep your family comfortable for a minimum of 72 hours. Turn the radio on and listen for updates.

Evacuation Order – evacuate your home when you advised to do so by local emergency authorities. Follow the evacuation routes specified by officials and drive carefully with headlights on.  Ignoring an evacuation order can jeopardize the safety of your family and others who might eventually have to come to your rescue. Do not return to your property until permitted to do so by authorities.

Please refer to the Government of Alberta Emergency Fact Sheet, for further information on evacuation alerts, evacuations orders, what to make sure you take and how to protect your home.

The public is notified of an emergency or disaster in a number of ways, such as:

  • Through local news/media reporting on TV or Radio
  • Municipal web and social media sites
  • Alerts by cell phones or apps:
    • Alert Ready – This warning system will help you stay informed and safe during an emergency or disaster. Alert Ready sends critical alerts through TV, cable, satellite and radio but also through most cellular phones. Visit alertready.ca for more information.
    • Alberta Emergency Alerts are issued to warn people about potential risks to their health and safety. The Alberta Emergency Alert app is available for both Apple and Android phones and tablets. Visit emergencyalert.alberta.ca for more information.

In the event of an emergency, first responders may be busy assisting those in immediate danger. It is recommended that you have an emergency kit that holds supplies to support you and your family for 3 days in an emergency situation.

Visit the Alberta Government’s website for information of how to prepare an emergency kit.